Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Vikingskipshuset


I quite enjoy History Channel's 'Vikings', although I know it might be a load of bull. Created by Michael Hirst, the television drama can be bit cheesy in terms of plot and actors' lines. Oh whatever. I like the re-imagining of that period in history and see it come to life on the television screen.

Not like the era of Viking supremacy was so romantic. It was the most violent period and Vikings had a fearsome reputation for good reason. (Like all colonialists, really.) Trade back then wasn't a civilized process. Raids, wars, pillage and colonization. People didn't live long and usually lived in fear.

Had to visit the Viking Ship Museum. It's a small musuem. You could finish it in 15 minutes if you're not keen on wooden ships or Vikings. It's got three precious ships of which one (Tune) was destroyed, and two standing (The Gokstad and the decorative Oseberg). It's amazing how the ships washed up inland or how the geological formations arranged it so that the ships were buried under soil at the deltas. Also of interest to me were the skeletons and artifacts found that gave a hint to life back then.

Well, I had more photos from the visit, but they've been half-lost along with my fried Macbook. Till I retrieve them, that is, if I can be bothered to do so. The most important data required for work purposes had all been backed up. WHEWWW. Never mind, I've got postcards and a scarf from the museum! The friends had taken some photos of the day and donated them to me. The girlfriend told me to go to York and join the Jorvik Viking Festival next February. Apparently that will be the 31st year of the festival. Hahaha. Not sure I'm that dedicated.

No comments: