Saturday, July 04, 2015

Som Tam Cravings


Dunno where the insane craving sprung up from. But I really wanted som tam (ส้มตำ). A properly spicy and piquant Issan green papaya salad. Only three eateries in Singapore do it the way I want. Obviously this craving was satiated at Diandin Leluk. I've been plonking myself here for too many meals with different groups of friends these few months.

Ordered a regular version with no meats except for the fish sauce and shrimp paste, and another one with brined crabs and fish- som tam pu khem ส้มตำเค็มปู. Didn't get sticky rice. Opted for regular jasmine rice to go with it instead. Oh happiness. The sour, spicy and bit of sweet flavors exploded on the tastebuds with each crunch. Love it. Diandin Leluk's som tam is superb.

Couldn't resist the tom yam clear soup, and the steamed seabass in plum sauce (ปลากะพงนึ่งบ๊วย). The style of steaming is Teochew. Well, many words in Thai are similar to Teochew. บ๊วย is one of the names used to refer to this sort of small plums for Thai cooking; it's pronounced 'bu-oay', which is almost how you would pronounce it in Teochew or Hokkien. (While I understand Teochew/Hokkien almost fully, I can't seem to speak it, :p) A most satisfying dinner. It's what I call a 'light Asian meal'. Hehehe. LOVE.

No comments: