Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Minced Meat Noodles


I didn't realize that the brand 'Macpherson Minced Meat Noodles' is 'famous'. Well, I'm not a fan of bak chor mee per se, so I don't particularly care about it. I ate at this one because it was convenient and the husband was curious about it. 

Apparently, all the stalls named 'Macpherson Minced Meat Noodles' aren't the same. They're not franchises or related to one another. The OG Uncle Yap's stall is now in Potong Pasir Block 136. But I can tell you that stall's version isn't nice. I bravely tried it thrice and it truly sucked, even for a regular plate. The meat really really stank, and the ratio of sauces was terrible. 

I very much prefer the iteration across the road done by Uncle Yap's disciple at the corner of Tai Thong Crescent. I kinda eat bak chor mee as minced meat kway teow, 'dry, white white'. LOL That's non-negotiable. I wouldn't eat it if it's drenched in sauces. So when I eat it like this, I'm not bothered about vinegar or type of chilli of whatever. I can taste all the flavors clearly. I know this is a caloric bomb, with all the grease and very little protein. So I don't eat it that often. 

Now that kway teow. That day, the kway teow came brown. Walao. NO. DUNWAN. When I said that I wanted 'white-white', I mean it — no sauces, no vinegar, no ketchup, no gravy, nothing. I dislike those flavors. I emphasized on white-white. So when the bowl of kway teow came back with a bit of sauce, I promptly went back to the stall, paid a $1 to get another bowl of white-white kway teow.

Do I like this brand's bak chor kway teow? No. I prefer the flavors at Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodles. The soup offered is much better too. 

No comments: