Saturday, December 15, 2012

At The Neighborhood Pub

At the neighborhood pub, happiness came in a half pint of Camden pale ale. On tap. Somehow, I really liked that for the night. The friends were more adventurous and ordered many other items on tap and in a bottle form. The pub is known to dish out great pulled pork sandwiches, and tonight, many were ordered. Apparently, it serves up a good pork pie too.

Could never finish a full pint quick enough before it warms up, so half pints are great in hot and humid Singapore. However, I still don't quite like warm ales, so it's still back to chugging half pints in London. Although the ales are never served that chilled. Just slightly below room temperature to release the full flavors of these craft beers/ales. In winter, many venues have heating, and others simply close all doors and leave a window open, which can kinda cool the area, but not ventilate it well. Obviously, in winter, many people haven't begun to equate being warm with good room ventilation yet. Luckily this pub understands ventilation, and draws sufficient air in from the outdoor cold. So it's comfortable to sit down and drink while clad in a wool sweater.


In all the pubs and restaurants now, it's the season for mulled wine or cider. It's not going to be on a menu, unless it's part of a seasonal menu that's been pre-printed. It's like a given that there'll be a mulled-something everywhere. Or you can't miss it because it's unceremoniously plonked on the bar counter in a huge soup pot with a scoop. Naaah. I still don't quite like mulled wine or cider. The spices. Not quite used to tasting them in my alcohol. I'd pick hot dark chocolate and whisky (not both together in a glass) anyday for a warm-me-up. BUT. I still like my alcohol cold. Even in winter; the same way I ask for ice-cubes in tap water or chilled still/sparkling water at the restaurants. :)

There was someone banging away on an old upright piano. A regular customer who enjoys playing for a stretch, I heard. Some upbeat tunes, of which I unfortunately didn't recognize. Not even one piece. It was a Broadwood I think. Tuning was definitely required. There was off-key singing going on near the piano. But the loud conversations drowned that out. All in all, rather jolly.

No comments: