Saturday, July 25, 2020

Koji Sushi at Raffles City

Hopped into the casual Koji Sushi Bar at Raffles City (at the far corner on the third floor nearer to Swissotel the Stamford) for lunch. This outlet has been open for a while, but it was my first visit. I usually go to Koji on Pickering Street, but now I'm in town less often, this outlet at Raffles City is just as convenient. 

Koji Sushi Bar serves up a localized version of sushi and sashimi, and omakase at dinner. Lunch sets come in the form of chirashi-don, and friendly rice bowls of or salmon, tuna, unagi; the menu also offers heavier meats of pork cheek and wagyu sukiyaki. There's a board up on the wall that lists the specials of the day and those are available at lunch too. 

I've never eaten at Koji at dinner or tried its omakase. I always pop in at lunch for its easy donburi and sides. Or its five-piece sushi sets. The donburi usually comes with a salad and miso soup. The default option for steamed rice is white, but they also offer a S$1 swop to a mixed-grain option. There're additional sides to order. They have beancurd with century egg served cold with shrimp roe, but this 'pidan tofu' doesn't interest me. It's blended too mushy till it feels like I'm drinking a thick creamy soup. Nope.

I always grin at the menu listing of 'salmon tartare'. Hahaha. It's pretty much my usual option at poké bars and casual eateries. It's difficult to screw up salmon that has been soaked in soy. That day, I ordered the salmon tartare with avocado and mixed-grain rice. That's a decent and tasty portion of lunch for me. My lunch companion ordered a salmon roe donburi, and a yuzu mochi for dessert. The restaurant opens at 11.30 am. If we favor an early lunch to beat the crowds, our meal gets served super fast. And we'll still have time to stroll over to Gather for a good cup of coffee. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah they had an outlet in Raffles Place too at Chevron House. Very easy and decent lunch sets! Good to know they have an outlet in Raffles City now. Heh.

Bmuse

imp said...

I haven't been to Chevron House for a looooong time! I think that one moved to Pickering Street. This Raffles City outlet is extremely accessible. Oof.