Thursday, July 24, 2008

Helter Skelter

To cope with the leaking bathtubs and roaches in our rooms, we have this Roach Count every morning to amuse ourselves with. Each of us average 3 kills a day.

We want to quietly change hotels, but those in the vicinity are all full. So not much choice there. We zip up our suitcases and all so that nothing crawly gets in. We'll have to make sure that we bring nothing back home to Singapore either.

We can deal. Still. Baby roaches. No biggie. The hotel doesn't think it was a big deal. Their attitude is, 'It's like that.' They should have just smiled and given us a bottle of insecticide each upon check-in. "Here's your room essential, with our compliments."

Did I mention we have a brothel of sorts at the health spa on the 5th Floor and rooms for rent for the patrons of the colorful small disco at the lobby?

Walls are paper thin. My asshole neighbor on the other side of the adjoining door keep trying to open mine. The past couple of mornings, the other neighbors' alarm and sneezes woke me up. In my room at night, I lug the crappy chairs and tables to barricade the adjoining room door and main door.

Last night, my Roach Count shot up drastically. The tiny pests could have been dislodged by the wild party vibrations next door. A whole army of them came out from the cracks in the wall and wood. What the hell. Then, I spotted 2 big ones on the floor, half camouflaged against the brown swirl of carpets. ARRRRRRGH. I wasn't about to do battle with 2 adult cockroaches. Neither was I interested to know if they could fly. How the fuck do I sleep in this infested room? It's a hole in a wall hotel with shit amenities.

Driven to paranoia by the roaches, I fled my room at 1 am, in tears. I called the girlfriend and babbled incoherently about monsters eating me alive. She picked me up from the lobby and put me up at her house for the rest of the night.

I am very tired. I haven't slept well at all. This whole week has been one long nightmare. I feel unsafe. It made me afraid of the dark. I can't share living space so nonchalantly with roaches. Not for five nights.
So I'm not sleeping in my room tonight.

I can't wait to go home.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

you poor thing. why is this trip's hotel so bad? why did they put u up in such a bad hotel?!

Cavalock said...

bet u can't wait to get back for the Tomo new place too? this sat right?

Dawn said...

Poor girl! You take care.

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

Poor poor imp! :( You'll be home soon. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

oh no! hang in there, imp! hope you'll be able to zip home very very soon!

Anonymous said...

alamak, malaysian roaches (like malaysians) are very resilient....

Anonymous said...

poor thing. come back home quick, babe!

Anonymous said...

i'm shocked they put you up in such a hotel!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor thing! that sounds utterly dreadful. My hair is all standing on end reading about the roaches!

imp said...

heeeeeeee. so much sympathy! i is touched!! thanks!! i'll be home soon. wieeeeeee!

Anonymous said...

oh poor girl! when u first mentioned the roaches at the beginning of the week, you DID sound quite nonchalent, which surprised me! ;P hang in there, you'll be home soon! :)
D

kachunknorge said...

Who put you in that Roach City Hole Hotel?

sinlady said...

really feel bad about your plight *hugs*

Anonymous said...

you sound traumatized! almost there... hang in there for another day... hope the week ahead goes smoothly and is less problematic!

imp said...

D: it was just 1 or 2 at first. then 3 or 4. then last night, the entire extended family. WAH LAU>i no like extended families.

kachunknorge: by very hospitable people who I think don't know what this hotel really is on the inside.

sinlady: WOOOOO. :( all better now. :)

ame: the work's all fine in comparison. no biggie. learning experience. pretty fun really. i just don't like playing with roaches. hehehehhe.

=eLaiNe= said...

aiksssss..this is really bad! how come this trip is so bad? i hope that u dont have to go back there for another night. Take care okok? =p