Monday, March 23, 2009

You Try Eating A Deflated Balloon

Everytime I go through our local news, I never fail to burst a vein in angry reaction to something. At the rate I go on, I will probably need anger management classes very soon.

Like now, I nearly choked and fell out of my chair when I read about some merry people releasing 1000 balloons into the air.

You cannot imagine how loudly I swore. I'm glad I'm also not the only moron getting all flustered about it. I don't care what the hell humans are celebrating- but releasing balloons into the air is a huge no no. And especially NOT over and across the sea. NOT into the sea. There are 50-50 arguments for and against balloons affecting marine life. I stand on the side of 'against balloons'. Latex balloons per se are biodegradeable. But not if it comes with strings attached. (pun fully intended.)

The organizers prove that they don't think of the environment when they hold mega events like that. And I wondered if any couple rejected to let fly their balloon.

In the celebration of a union (non-legal) with my partner, I do not expect it to be just about us. It is also about what we can do for our environment, for our friends, for our world. If the man had no space in his mind and heart for a larger world, then I would have dropped him like a hot potato.

And yes, I wrote a note to Marriage Central to tell them rather politely what I think of their strategic planning skills that obviously did not show much of consideration for the environment. And if they reply at all, I know they'll bring out the 'okay to release balloons' articles and arguments to highlight in an official distant letter.

And so continues the eternal battle about what exactly harms the environment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't even know there was such an organisation. Goodness, how crappy and inconsiderate and useless this entire exercise is!

imp said...

yuling: i wanted to pull my hair out.

kachunknorge said...

Unbelievable.

Whatever gets the storks delivering, I suppose, hmmm?

Anonymous said...

Wow, 1,000 balloons! *groan* kill me if I get scripted to organise such an event.

But then, if I do, I can bounce the "get-media-coverage" ideas off you to make sure it's environment-friendly. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I clicked on your links esp Marriage Central "Real Love Works". If "Real Love Works", why do you need a campaign to promote it? Got fake one meh? How to tell the difference? So if one's love failed, then fake leh. Only REAL love works. Like a "happily ever after" fairy tale told to kids.

imp said...

kachunknorge: whatever it takes. and we present a sick world as a legacy for our children. not very smart there, the governments.

lms: iit's like PA thinking it's okay to give away live hamsters as free gifts to the passion card. i don't even know which idiot approved that! i'm very sure you won't do these stuff! you'll know so many ways to attract media coverage!

anon@12.08pm: maybe too many singaporeans don't know how to make a marriage work? maybe too many of us marry for all the wrong reasons without knowing what exactly love is and the commitment it entails. frankly, i think it ridiculous to have such a website.