Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Talking

We've gone back and forth carefully in a diplomatic ping-pong.

I've learnt much today. It's slightly different from the polished corporate tango my elders exposed me to when I was a young girl. I've sat at tables negotiating prices, contracts, terms and conditions within another industry. I'm very familiar with the intricacies of opening offers, subsequent offers, concessions, resolution and emotional closure. The elders have guided me soundly.

Today's meeting opened my eyes to a distinctive sort of negotiation. The sort of leverage and rapport required at this meeting are key highlights. The manner these 2 points are delivered are the furthest from all that I know. Still, I drew on whatever that has been imbued as young child- the first rule of negotiation- 'Never offer what I'm not prepared to commit.' A mentor once told me- "You're not a shark. Don't bother to feign. Just be a dolphin." I was rather insulted then. I always thought I'd survive the corporate game. I guess he knew better than a conceited 16 yr-old.

So today, quietly I watched and took in the new processes. Impatience has always been my greatest flaw. I'm reminded that I've to stem those rising feelings and retain that air of clarity. This industry and that, I must endeavor to link all I have learnt to gain the most balanced of acumen and not blow the end game.

No comments: