Monday, March 05, 2007

The Fast Food Run

This trip, the salads stood out. Flavorful, intricate and non-oily, the salads were refreshing. Every meal was a hurried affair because the work was pressing. I didn't take much pleasure in the food. To me, eating was simply to quell the hunger pangs. Compared to the mains and meat, I preferred the salads way more on this trip.

After several trips to Hanoi trying out different restaurants and eateries, I dare put forth my opinion that food in HCMC is more refined and exciting. Or perhaps the months I spent in HCMC allowed me to explore its food way more in depth than Hanoi. That's not to say food in Hanoi sucks. It doesn't. There are many gems around the city. But you'd have to search for them. Popping into random eateries don't translate into pleasant surprises and good food here. stickyrice is a great blog to refer to when you're on the prowl for good food in Hanoi. Lonely Planet is an accurate yardstick. But the best is to spend some leisure time in Hanoi and have locals take you out to the street stalls.

But one thing is for sure. Drinks (i.e. alcohol) in Hanoi (even in the hotels) are generally cheaper than HCMC by US$1 - US$1.50. I was completely thrilled that my 5 glasses of well-mixed thick whisky soda in Hanoi only cost USS$25. Less than half of what I would have spent in Singapore.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yumz. those spring rolls were damn good man.

Anonymous said...

a few more years and hanoi will be just as flourishing as HCMC. :) but yes, for now, i prefer the food in HCMC.

imp said...

cheryl: they were good!

meteor: i guess so.

Anonymous said...

cheap drinks. i like!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Quan An Ngeon. At least can get most of everything under one roof! Actually our best meal has to be the wanton noodles.