Thursday, September 13, 2007

Observances

I hang around so many Muslim friends that I think I'll half-fast along with them. ;P Even though they don't mind, I feel kinda rude if I eat or drink in front of them before sundown. 

Today is the first day of RamadanMuslims are supposed to put in more effort this month to refrain from "anger, envy, greed, lust, sarcastic retorts, backbiting, and gossip."

The huge vase of cheery heliconias, anthuriums and birds of paradise at home chirpped that today also marks Rosh Hashanah.

It is said "in the Talmud that on Rosh Hashanah, the means of sustenance of every person are apportioned for the ensuing year; so also are his destined losses."

How colorful. A time of self-reflection.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

like 1 sentence is missing at the end?

like 'welcome to multi-cultural sgp'...

heh.

wildgoose said...

Do the both always fall on the same day? You celebrate Rosh Hashanah at home? I know there are Jews in Sgp but I never had any Jewish frens.

imp said...

opal: ahhh. welcome to the land of religious harmony.

wildgoose: nope. not for decades. since then, the first same dates fell in 2005. this 2007 would be the 2nd recent time they fall on the same day!

Anonymous said...

shalom shana tova to the man, babe.

imp said...

seth: :)

Ange said...

I didn't know that they have to refrain from certain habits too ... interesting.

Rosh Hashanah, I'm more kinly attuned to it. :)