Saturday, August 09, 2008

Irish Malts

Now that I've somewhat understood Scotch whisky, I turn my attention to Irish malts. I've had a young bottle of McGilligan's. It's not particularly complex or memorable. But I can't quite compare that too much. My tasting repertoire for Irish malts is still pathetic.

I begin proper with The Wild Geese matured in white oak bourbon casks released in Singapore in April 2008. The Wild Geese bottles are mostly blended malts. The tastebuds are confused over the blended stuff. They taste pretty good. But I'm not inclined towards them.

The sole single malt in this collection is ummm...fairly simple. Light and not peaty. It's okay I suppose. I like the pretty bottles. :) But I don't think I'm going to give up the complexity and rich flavors of Scotland's single malts anytime soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

EH. there's a reason why it's called 'Scotch'...

Anonymous said...

ooh. so interesting. any nice ones coming up?

imp said...

andrew: i suppose!!

jazzgal: dunno. will keep you updated as and when i come across a good one.