Monday, January 26, 2009

年初一

Thank goodness that as our preferred habit and a nod towards the Indian side of the family, we have Indian food during Chinese New Year.

The man also whipped up a Thai glass noodle and minced chicken salad. This is one dish he perfected after tasting 2 spectacular failures and 1 mediocre final product.

That dhaal-cha, mutton korma, chicken biryani, basmati rice and the sorts make it feel so much better that we don't have to adhere to the traditional dishes of the festival.

I gingerly threw the chicken onto the man's plate. I lapped up alot of that biryani and mutton.

Cass McCombs, Don Henley and the embarassingly gay Erasure (I love their acoustic album Union Street!), blared soothingly out of the speakers through iTunes. Well, I'd like to see you try doing Mambo moves to Erasure in a cheongsam...

I'd puke if I have to sit down to another 8-course Chinese meal with dong-dong-qiang music blasting over the eeky PA system.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drooling! I love Indian food! You are sooo lucky!

Same here, I've no patience for sit-down Chinese meals. Having an everything-non-Chinese CNY partea tomorrow! Woots!

wildgoose said...

Awful music is the bugbear of chinese new year for me. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the festival. I love all the cookies. :P

sinlady said...

philistines! haha

red fir said...

We had lontong, chicken rendang, otah etc. together with braise duck & orh nee lol.

imp said...

yuling: indian food is our default next to japanese. you have a fun party tmrw!

wildgoose: ugh. that music indeed. eioow. ooh. i can pass u all the cookies we have at home. no one's eating them!

sinlady: HEH. as always!

ice: OOH. very good. hurrah for multiculturalism.

kikare said...

oh i love love the thai glass noodle salad, but i usually make it with minced pork. i think it's got more flavour.

imp said...

kikare: we cannot do pork mah. we tried doing a vegetarian version too. it was pretty okay!