Saturday, January 24, 2009

Flag Day

These past few weekends, many schools are holding Flag DaysThere are many students in uniforms going around all venues with their charity tins to solicit for donations from the public. The charities' logos and names are conspicuously pasted on the tins . Couple that with the school uniform, there is a legitimacy in what the students do to chalk up brownie points.

While it is all good to do fundraising in the name of charity and for VWOs, my problem is, these students seem to just hold out the tin and ask for donations without knowing a single thing about the organization/s that they are supporting.

Granted, the students are pretty polite when they thrust the tin in my chest. But when I ask them "What charity this is", "Where is it located" and "What does it do", I get the most terrible answers. The answers range from "I don't know", "I'm not sure", "My teacher didn't tell me" to "You can google it later" and "Can't you read it on the tin yourself".
You tell me, can die or not?

I'm wondering if schools just blindly send out students to do this sort of fundraising without a briefing. Shouldn't there be some sort of background information these students are supposed to digest before stepping out to meet the public? 
But there are the rare few who could, in all of 30 seconds, answer my questions quite comprehensively.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, most of them are stupid. And also grow up to be stupid people. Go on to be stupid parents, then raise stupid kids.

Circle of Life, sweets.

Muahahaha.

I'd have given up cradle snatching a long time ago if not for the fact that they can be so deliciously tender sometimes.

imp said...

JM: alamak. so harsh ah? young mah, needs to be taught what to do for many things lor. either that, or simply never use brains and initiative.

Anonymous said...

Who's going to teach them? Parents who whine and bitch, then go home and vote PAP, or disenchanted (or those stupid enough to be swayed by the TV ads) teachers who can't get a real job in the private sector ?

Must be harsh lar. I think this generation too sayang already.

=eLaiNe= said...

imp : guess the teacher should really tell them what is the reason behind doing this wonderful activity, only then it serve the purpose, if not it is just for the sake of doing leh..=p

kikare said...

You are one demanding flag-buyer! I would never approach you.
I sold flags once in high school. No we didn't have any briefing, and fortunately I didn't have to answer any questions. Just went to the business area and put on a smile. The expats were especially "generous" - most of them emptied their pants pockets and put all the changes into my bag. 兩全其美 lah.

Little Miss Snooze said...

That is one of my gripe over flagdays, but students mainly do it to chaclk up CCA points, not so much out of their own will.

shuhuiii said...

I don't think students are briefed on the organisations they're raising funds for. During my secondary and JC days, seriously, many of us did fundraising for CIP hours. It's more like a requirement than real urge to give back to the society.
But I'm sure there are students who are passionate about these events...

rojakboy said...

They're all there for the points. It's our society. When they go out to work, it'll be all about the money.

imp said...

elaine: at least a proper explanation would be helpful!

kikare: i AM! must question 'why'! but i confess when i did it in school, the public didn't ask me why... i think this represents a shift in public perception and demands.

lms: i remember a time when all these were voluntary in school. those who did the flag day, really knew what they were 'selling'.

shuhuiii: that's quite sad really. of course there're the passionate ones. but that's so far and few. :(

rojakboy: and i say, dammit.

eveline: exactly. i don't know MOST of these charities they're doing the fundraising for.

imp said...

OOPS!

eveline: SORRY! i deleted your comment by accident when i was re-organizing my replies!

wildgoose said...

I agree with you. Some are totally clueless and just thrust the tin out at people. Does nothing to help the cause. People are so much more likely to donate when you smile and ask nicely.

imp said...

wildgoose: that too. a smile is always good.