Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bánh Khot


I was thrilled when the formal 7am meeting turned out informal over breakfast at one of Vũng Tàu's most famous bánh khot stalls- Goc Vu Sua.

We squatted on tiny stools and dipped our chopsticks into a traditional Vietnamese breakfast staple of grilled rice pancakes topped with fresh shrimp and sprinkled with shrimp powder. There's the standard fish sauce dip with sides of with slivered green papaya, carrot, and lots of fresh herbs of mint and one variety that taste like wasabi.

I'm no expert, but I love this version of bánh khot with shrimp. There is another version topped with minced pork. I dislike the pork version simply because of the taste- quite eeeky. The shrimp version taste so much lighter and easy on the stomach for breakfast. The skilled women at this stall fried it to a proper crisp.

I ate so many pieces of it because it was so tasty. (Of course I dumped the shrimp.) I ate a plate of it all by myself. That sorta settled lunch as well.

So I proclaim this as my next best meal on this trip.

Goc Vu Sua (Opens at 6am)
14 Nguyen Truong To Street
Vũng Tàu, Vietnam

7 comments:

Jo said...

aiyoo... check out the BIG banner pic of the Pho! *drools*

Anonymous said...

wow, looks yummy. i think i'll love this if i get the chance to try it. :D
D

tuti said...

i love shrimp on rice flour fried.
very. *crave*

imp said...

jomel: hahaha. i put it up just to tease you!!! :p

d: i think u will!

tuti: wah. then u sure like this one!

gerbera said...

babe, you make the city sound so cool! i want to go visit now!

Jo said...

To tease me and to torture kikare! Wuahaha

imp said...

gerbera: come with to dive!

jomel: hehehe. yah lor.