Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Gate

I wanted to eat at The Gate. It's been around for 20 years and I've never gotten there. The later day reviews aren't sterling and I want to know if the service is really as disappointing as said. The Gate is situated in an old church at Hammersmith. We were slated to catch Them Crooked Vultures at the Hammersmith Apollo. The Gate is located just a couple of doors down the street. Perfect timing.

Set in a converted church, the courtyard of The Gate is charming. The Gate's website explained the sort of vegetarian food served as Indo-Iraqi Jewish. "Our grandmothers blended Indian and Arabic cuisines with the traditional Jewish food." The chefs received no formal training. But they could appreciate good food and with that, the hidden talent to cook surfaced in the form of the fabulous food at The Gate.

The Gate's food is so so good. We had the mezze platter which weren't dips. The mezze platter is a mixture of starters in tasting portions. My favorite were the woodland salad and the fantastic three onion tart (leeks & shallots baked with crème fraiche in parmesan pastry, topped with caramelised red onions & finished with basil oil). Holy Macaron, they were out of this world.

The pasta of the day was this lovely penne with caramelized red onions, root vegetables, chilli and chanterelle mushrooms tossed in olive oil. The man's aubergine schnitzel was just as good.

Service is excellent, by my books, and you know I'm exacting when it comes to that. Drinks came fast. Empty plates were promptly cleared and the courses were served at a decent interval. Servers have been attentive to all my needs, requests and questions. I can't complain.

I'm going back to the restaurant very soon because they promised me a a copy of 'The Gate Vegetarian Cookbook'. Yea, I so want it. I must ask the man to cook me the food in there!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

This sounds awesome. I've never heard of it!

sinlady said...

hmmm...another case of not believing professional reviews.

imp said...

dawn: it's fantastic. you will love it.

sinlady: heh. i asked the friends who were recently and on the average, it's okay. so i thought i'd take my chance!