Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Can Still Fit Into The Chair


Hopped into a secondary school today for a quick visit.

Walking into a school full of students is quite a blast from the past. Though I've to say that I don't miss school at all man!

I do like how school curriculum has evolved through the years and efforts have been made to innovate pedagogy and inject creativity into the students' annual workplan. As much as I dislike the school system in Singapore, it has to be credited for giving me a sterling education and its continuous (and slow) efforts to improve.

Those tiny chairs and tables are so cute lor! Can't say the same about the students though. But those that we interacted directly with were absolutely adorable. I gotta say that these 15 and 16 year olds are articulate and obviously prepped well for our visit. They answered our questions well. What I'm really impressed with- these students speak better English than their teachers. Clear and concise pronunication, free of weird (overseas and local) accents and displayed a good grasp of the language.

There was afternoon tea. Asian style. There were curry puffs served from the school's canteen. As a good, the only part about my memories of school that was delightful was the food. I've always loved the Malay stall's begedil and curry puffs. Some time back, I burst out laughing when a colleague's request for breakfast over email stated "Nasi lemak and curry puffs (both Malay style)." I get you, dude! Those are the best.

Although I was really full from lunch, I had to eat two for old times' sake. One sardine and one potato-ey. I wasn't disappointed. Both were old school YUMMZ.

10 comments:

tuti said...

the curry puffs look delicious. lucky my malay kopitiam around my shop still have these kind. good ones with the right texture of crust and fillings are not so easy to find though. and the chilli sauce, that is important too. leaves the mouth a bit smelly but totally sedap!!

and wah, your job also go visit schools ah? respect! so fun. so clever (again). :-)

Cavalock said...

speak better english than teacher? i seriously doubt if its a neighborhood school then. hope i'm wrong

imp said...

tuti: my job makes me do plenty of things. :) no clever lah. just lots of hard work and running around.

cavalock: it is a neighborhood school. :) a good neighborhood school.

mochalatte said...

i came frm neighbourhood school too and wat we had were pretty rustic & nostalgic..recess & ECA were my fave =P yup had curry pok plus syrup like 3 times a wk lo haha <3

Pebbles said...

epok epok with chilli dip! *slurp*

=eLaiNe= said...

my all-time favouries , curry puff with potato!! =)

sinlady said...

i have no recollection of school canteen food that i enjoyed leh.

imp said...

mochalatte + pebbles + elaine: totally! i had no concept of healthy food- ate SO MUCH junk food then!

sinlady: why so sad one?

sinlady said...

dunno leh. i can't even remember what were in the canteen when my school friends talk about the tuckshop, never mind what the food was like.

imp said...

sinlady: :( but no big loss!