Thursday, August 26, 2010

What Useless Shoes


Since the programme schedule doesn't seem to indicate any sort of free time, I gave up on naughty ideas to walk around the city. So, I thought I was being smart by bringing and wearing just ONE pair of shoes.

Before the trip, I checked out the hotel and saw that it was pretty enough and didn't even bother to squeeze in a pair of bathing slippers. It is nice. There's a rather proper set of room slippers provided.

These black flats match everything. They can go formal or casual. I'm not interested in wearing pretty shoes. I'm here to do a job and not overly concerned about fashion. The flats are cheap and comfortable. It could be thrown away after the trip. No sweat. Or so I thought. And this is the FIRST and ONE time I bring only 1 pair of shoes on a work trip, well knowing that I don't have easy access to a mall to get another. I win.

I found some time to go run around in the city. Not literally of course, but quite a bit of a trek. The whole business of perspiration is quite welcome after staying in an air-conditioned room for 8 hours a day. What I didn't bargain for, is for the heels to disintegrate after 3 days. I was quite flabbergasted to discover it this evening. The corner cobbler couldn't put on a new sole immediately. He said to leave it overnight and he would have it ready the next day. Well, too bad that I only have this ONE pair of shoes. If I didn't have a dinner to attend, I would have just walked back barefoot and wore bunny slippers around or something. The cobbler sold men's shoes. Ah well. The other shops sold dumb-dumb looking rubber flip flops. No point.

Luckily these shoes are the flat sort and not the 2-inch heels I normally take along on trips. I'm heading to Bangkok tomorrow night and a pair of shoes will be waiting for me upon arrival at the airport. Meanwhile, I think the plastic parts can hold out for tomorrow. I'll just have to walk gingerly.

I HATE MURPHY. He must think this is very funny. Hmmmmpf.

7 comments:

Jo said...

Oh dear! What can I say?

h o b o m o b o said...

Oh dear. I always bring 2 pairs, more for vanity's sake rather than practical reasons.

Still, you are pretty lucky to be able to get a pair of shoes waiting for you at the airport!

p.s.: I can't imagine Imp singing Teresa Teng songs!!! Or any Chinese songs for that matter.

sinlady said...

oh i hate those tap-on plastic heels with a passion!

note to self - never travel with only one pair of shoes...

tuti said...

o dear. lucky can still hobble along quite un-noticed.

kikare said...

My name is not Murphy but I also think this is quite funny!

celcilia_tjioe said...

So u walked back to the hotel barefoot??

imp said...

jomel: grrrrr.

hobomobo: i usually have 2 pairs of shoes at least. but this time, i want to travel light, so had to deal with one pair only. i need the space in my luggage for files and corporate gifts. had to make 2 phone calls to get my shoes prepped! but all good! next time i sing cantonese songs for you. :p

sinlady: cheap heels. that's what i get for S$39.90. luckily it's at least comfortable.

tuti: don't need to hobble. it's down to the plastic parts and still alright.

kikare: hahaha. me too. i was quite amused actually.

celcilia: nope. wore the same pair of shoes throughout. no sweat. flats anyway, not heels, not too big a deal.