Monday, October 18, 2010

Excapade Sushi


Okay, I didn’t mind eating out with the colleagues, but to have Japanese food at an eatery that is similar to a fast food outlet is just not something I can stomach. I’m particularly finicky about Japanese food. I said I was picky and didn't want to go for dinner. But they dragged me out anyway. So we went to this Japanese eatery called Excapade.

It was a little strange that all the grilled food arrived before the platter of sashimi and sushi. It made for rather strange taste. But the grilled stuff wasn’t too salty. Nothing complicated or mind-blowing; simply edible. The 2 dishes of fish were decent.

What horrified me was the platter of sashimi and sushi. It wasn’t about being impressed by such a generous serving for $40. It was how much rice they rolled in with the sushi. It was not unlike the size of an onigiri. I couldn’t do this platter. Just by looking at the slices of fish, I shuddered. I wasn’t at all interested to chow down on any of those. The cut and the quality of the fish just didn’t do it for me. If I can’t do Akashi at home, there is no way I can do Excapade here.

The sashimi of scallops was the surprise of the evening. Again, this portion was large and the pieces of scallops were thick. It was rather fresh. Not as sweet as the usual ones I prefer, but fairly good. The restaurant imports seafood directly under the label SnoFood which has the store right below its restaurant. That definitely helps to lower overheads for its ingredients.

For some reason, the table had only fish and seafood. There wasn't any meat even though the colleagues are omnivores. Nice. I didn't have to do subtle avoiding of dishes. Dinner was filling and not too unsatisfying.

2 comments:

allie said...

I wasn't able to comment on your Kome entry. But yes, I've heard about it. The chef smsed me when I was in US and I was shocked. Planning to visit them very soon.

imp said...

allie: go soon! you had such a lovely trip! very nice!