Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Out In Town Before Sunset!


I had spent a long 2 months in Luang Prabang some time back and well, basically roughed it out. It's a beautiful beautiful place, one of the few unspoilt travel destinations in Southeast Asia. It's such a lovely feeling to be striding along on the uncrowded streets again.

Getting around in English was a little difficult. Not that many speak the language, which isn't a bad thing. It simply means that they don't see that many obnoxious tourists. Heheh. Try speaking in French, you might have better luck. When I was here years ago, I didn't speak Thai fluently. I forgot if the people in Luang Prabang speak it, or use the Hmong dialects. I listened hard, and I realized that while I might not fully comprehend Laotian, they will understand me when I speak Thai. So I gave up speaking English and switched completely to Thai. We had ummm.....'chaperones' of sort who absolutely refused to let us out on our own and then take a tuk-tuk back to the hotel. To put it mildly, they were flabbergasted when we suggested that. I had to talk very fast to convince them to let us out on our own. :p

There's a thoroughfare in Luang Prabang- Sisavangvong Road. Everything is there- the eateries, restaurants, the night market, staircase to the vantage point up on the hill, access to the river, massage places, etc. It's become more bustling through the years. Luckily (for some of us), tourist arrivals haven't increased to an astronomical figure, yet.

We had a bit of time and stole away to town. We strolled by the grounds of the National Museum. Nothing much has changed since the last I visited. But I'd love to stroll through the buildings proper and look at its art collections again, perhaps on Saturday.

The colleagues have some time off to wander around tomorrow and the day after, but I'm kinda stuck in meetings all day. BOO. They're going to the Kuang Si Waterfall. I IS JEALOUS! I would love to tag along.

No comments: