Saturday, March 05, 2011

They Made Me Chwee Kueh!


Made a date with the girlfriend months ago before I left on the trips, and before I get caught up in others. Glad I stuck to the date. It was good to receive hugs and company. Imagine my surprise when lunch at the girlfriend's became a 'feed-the-imp' session. She swore she was going to tapau some local food for us, but she and the husband cooked! Woah.

They wryly admitted that the first batch of chwee kueh in a muffin tray didn't turn out too well. She was quite upset with the second batch which looked too soft. But hey, a tasting confirmed that it was fine! It simply hadn't settled and cooled down. It tasted alright. Of course the shape was 'wrong' because it was a blob in the muffin tray. But who cares. It went well all the same with the shallots, chye poh and sambal. They made a healthier version of the chye poh which went down easier than the commercial ones because they weren't as oily or salty. It was crunchy good! Mmmmm.

Dog and a little girl hung out with me too. Then, with an evil glint in the eye, I sat the girl on the couch and taught her how to use birds to shoot green pigs. Heheheheh. But she didn't like it very much. She prefers to cut ropes to feed candy to that green monster. And she understood the physics of it (before the bubbles got in the way). Ahhhh! So intellectual!

The husband also grilled some prawns for us to nibble on with the sambal. O.My.Sambal.Gods, you've heard my cravings! All satisfied now. Sambal was spicy with plenty of kick! It went with the chye poh and prawns beautifully. Yayy! I totally appreciated the efforts. What a lovely homecoming!

4 comments:

bmuse said...

How lovely! =)

Haa, and I know that game the little girl likes! Somehow little children seem taken with it - my man's 3yo nephew too!

imp said...

bmuse: why are these little kids so intellectual. tsk. they should just stick to throw/hit/kill!

Yuling said...

Totally lovely having you over now! You've just tasted the ugliest chwee kueh in the world, and you survived!

imp said...

yuling: eh. it's tasty! and such a healthy difference. that chye poh is worth eating on its own!