Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Adiós Argentina


Right from the start, I knew it’s going to be an exhausting trip, but I’ll learn so much from it. At the end of the trip, it doesn’t seem to be so bad. Yes, it’s a long time away from home, and work frustrations have made me feel trapped for a bit, but it’s not horrifying. It’s just the shock of a new job coupled with an immediate lengthy work trip of which I don’t know shit about the agenda.

I’ve learnt so much about new destinations that I might otherwise not have taken the courage to travel this far on a vacation with limited time. I’ve had some fun working in different teams operating on polar frequencies, met many people, learnt the basics of a new language, come to understand my new boss and his preferred management style really quickly. I now know how the new job shapes up and the full extent of the tasks and responsibilities. As the days pass and fill up with quite exciting matters, I will last the 3 months of probation. Then the company and I will decide.

I like Argentina. If you notice, there're very few countries that I dislike. I firmly believe that as a traveler and not a resident, there's something nice and fun to be found in each country. Every destination has so much to offer. If you're in the right frame of mind and are prepared to embrace all inconvenience and a new set of culture, then you'll truly appreciate all that lies within the eye. The friends and I talked about Peru, and we might just be able to swing a trip. Shall probably offer my services as their exclusive travel concierge, not that I know Peru, but more of for the fact that I can do all the logistics so easily, with my eyes closed. Heeeeee.

I'd love to have a direct flight home. That would be really convenient and less of a hassle. Too bad SQ doesn't fly direct from Buenos Aires to Singapore. SQ has no foothold in South America at all. Com'mon! Let those negotiations on air services work its magic like how Sao Paulo has materialized! (You know that Barcelona's a technical stop, right?)

Unfortunately, I can’t buy any sort of wood or food items, dulce de leche, jams and whatnots. Flying through Sydney means I can’t take them in. Oz customs are damn vigilant about flights coming in from South America. But it’s okay. This is one of the fastest and kindest routes to and fro Argentina with no worries of lost luggage and induces minimal jet lag. I’m not keen on flying through Mexico to Sao Paulo or Santiago, then Auckland, or do the Frankfurt, Dubai or Johannesburg route either. I wouldn’t mind the London route, but that’s crazy unless I want a couple of days to chill out there. For now, this Sydney-Singapore route is ideal. The flight timings are kind, and don’t bother me too much because I sleep like a dead log on planes. And no matter how I bitch about Qantas, it’s bearable, and its economy class baggage allowance is two suitcases at 23kg each. Ha. That seals the deal for many travelers. Plus I get to fly SQ from Sydney to home, and that matters to me, very much.

As I zip up the suitcases, it’s with a pang of wistfulness that this trip is finally ending. I’d like to go home, but there isn’t thick homesickness. I miss sambal and chwee kueh, but no other food. If the man isn’t flying off on his work trip, I’d have asked him to come join me and we head off for another week to Mendoza and Patagonia. I don’t care about the shopping and having no gifts for friends. Trips aren’t about buying souvenirs. It’s to be selfish and hold those memories and experiences in your mind. The friends have been awesome in sending me lots of chirpy emails, links and photos. You guys on this blog have kept me company through late nights and early mornings. I almost miss those hectic days. :P

7 comments:

tuti said...

glad you survived the hardest part of the trip, and homeward bound soon!

sinlady said...

you have been a brave imp!

Dawn said...

You know you can always mix it in with a trip to the US right? :)

Lady J said...

Welcome home imp! Can't believe that 1 month has just passed and you've survived!!

Thanks for sharing insights to the many places that you've visited during your work-trip. It's amazing that despite all the work mayhem, you still manage to find time to keep us updated on your daily happenings through blogging. I dunno if I could managed that if I'm in your shoes.

Jo said...

and your travel stories (and pictures) have opened up my eyes in more ways than you can imagine. :)

supercoati said...

Glad that you are homeward bound! SA is really a beautiful place and once you get pass the language barrier, I find the people there really warm. The 23kgX2 luggage allowance applies to all flights heading to the Americas but the only thing is you can't break your flight in between because it would then be 23kg allowance between the pit stop and Singapore. Believe me, I have argued with so many airlines including SQ, which gave us a slight concession bec of the solitaire card. The only way to get round it is to fly through LA or Florida which is too long!

imp said...

tuti + sinlady: :)

dawn: don't tempt me.

lady J: it's prob my way of de-stressing and to feel connected to my world!

jomel: sharing little nuggets with you friends!

supercoati: i noticed that it's only SQ that's so stingy and miserable about luggage weight to and fro Americas. Wonder why.