Saturday, April 23, 2011

Food For Thought, Certainly


Fresh out of the plane last Sunday, sitting at the very local, superbly Singaporean Bedok hawker centre to satisfy the chwee kueh-porridge cravings gave me a little more food for thought than I bargained for. It reminded me about the elections (which I've largely and conscientiously ignored) and everything else about people, ground sentiments, government and this leeeeetle issue of something called 'reality'.

Working till 70 and beyond

We sat down at a free table littered with empty plates. At a packed hawker centre, the limited number of elderly cleaners couldn't clear all tables in time. They couldn't cope. So I shrugged and cleared the plates, and wiped the table. Not a big deal. I grew up seeing elderly cleaners shuffle around Singapore. It seemed a bit sad, but since it was common, it wasn't a big deal. I truly believed these old people wanted to work for the sake of being self-sufficient. There wasn't anything odd about that. It isn't till about 18 years old, when I began roaming the world, then realization sank in that we're about the only country in the world with this odd social phenomenon of bent white-haired people coming out to do menial, exhausting work as cleaners in public spaces and office buildings.


The Forgotten

In that 35 minutes of eating or so, I freely admit I was a tad annoyed by no less than 10 elderly and disabled people coming up to sell packets of tissues. I haven't sat down at a hawker centre for a really long time. So this continual stream of people thrusting packets of tissues in my face came as a bit of a shock. People do that in the past, but it seems as though the numbers have increased. Is this indicative of a social trend? Clearly, these elderly and disabled, even if they're on social assistance, feel it keenly that the amount handed out isn't enough to tide them over month-to-month. And don't give me the bullshit about them wanting to do something and be self-sufficient. Is this phenomenon seriously tolerated and quietly encouraged?

Shifting Grounds

It was just the man and I at the table of 6. A family of 3 asked us in Mandarin if they could sit with us. Of course. The man is Singapore. He used the Singlish-Hokkien terms. The wife is from mainland China, and spoke in putonghua. The 3-year old little kid spoke excellent Mandarin with precise enunication. As I listen to the conversations of the tables around, I realized that half of the tables were made up of foreigners who live and work in Singapore. Not that I particularly cared. I've no issues with an open-door policy for immigrants. Fair competition, I say. But I dislike being made to speak Mandarin at chic restaurants in a country where English is purportedly the working language. I want to strangle these servers at the restaurants. I certainly do not appreciate being squished into 700 square kilometres with 5 million people. Everywhere I go, it's a constant fight with people for space. Each time I get out of Singapore, I see less people and a great deal of space, and I'm pleased as a bird.

*********

I dislike the integrated resorts GREATLY. Have you been there? So tell me, what nationalities are the bulk of people working there? They're certainly more beneficial to non-Singaporeans than Singaporeans per se, in many ways. Political systems need to evolve. If we're supposedly first class, then government structures and systems have to move forwards. We're an economic stronghold, but we're nowhere near mature in terms of citizenry and political structures. For a long time now, I don't equate a country's standard of living as being proportionate to its quality of living.

I'm not liking the tone of the current candidates thrust out by the incumbent party. Their speeches smack of utter arrogance and tell of a disconnect. I'm generalizing here, but I find the content of the speeches, the delivery and the attitude disrespectful to the masses and proletariat, and insulting to the bourgeoisie and intellectuals. I'm not a clueless child who needs to be told what to do. You say good means good meh? I've a brain and a choice. If I can, I fully intend to exercise that right.

8 comments:

J&kh said...

Wah u out of gaar-men alredi talk v loud hor!

imp said...

J & KH: WRONG! I already talk very loud when I was IN the gahmen. I wrote about that some way back, no need to repeat. There're many policies I disagree with, especially manpower and social. If asked in person, I never hesitate to make my views known.

yz said...

Well-said! Especially the point about the IRs. It's sad how so many important decisions are made without real consultation or debate.

tuti said...

just see their salaries already enough. 3 to 4 countries top men put together than can par ours. on top of it, we are literally a dot in size compared.
i don't mind they earn top dollar but not when the citizens are still suffering and nothing in terms of quality of living has improved. in fact i am worse off now then before.

i am working triply hard trying not to end up like the senior citizen workers clearing tables at food centres. at the rate i'm going, i don't have much faith it won't happen.

miss ene said...

Great post! I'm going to share it on FB.

Btw, re tissue sellers, I've been told that many are from across the Causeway, here on a social visit pass.

Dawn said...

For all this talk about the need to preserve reserves, not enough is being done to help people who need help right NOW.

Cavalock said...

Nope, probably the only guy who has never been to either one of the IRs

imp said...

yz: that's also another point i haven't even 'complained' about yet. :D

tuti: we have to work for ourselves. not that i fully believe in welfare. but it's come to a point where the policies have to be reviewed and reconsidered.

miss ene: that too. some are not local, and it's baffling.

dawn: there you go. not every opposition party is thinking of raiding the reserves. there is the whole new question on our sovereign wealth funds, AND the elected presidency. we shall talk about that offline. :)

cavalock: the IRs are overrated.