Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Most Talented Musician

My hosts arranged for a private showcase by some musicians. I was dead tired that evening. My brains weren't quite functioning. When the music came on, I zoned out, and didn't pay much attention to the musicians. Neither did our hosts go into details about them, except that they're very famous local musicians. The singer is good, but there're many awesome singers in the country. The bandoneon player isn't as enthralling as the other one. The outstanding musician is the elderly pianist. He is extremely experienced, talented and possesses the most nimble fingers ever.

The musicians had put together a cd and gave me a copy. When the evening ended, exhausted, I fell into bed and slept, and slept. I forgot about the performance till I saw the music cd in the suitcase last night. I put it on. Poor recording and mastering made the cd sound really raw, but the shiny talent of the musicians can't be masked. It sounds quite beautiful. As I listened, something clicked. I remember the fabulous sounds that came out of the piano from the pianist's hands. His playing and unique touch of the keys are unforgettable. I did some determined googling and almost fell off my chair at the results popping up on the screen.

OMG. OMG. OMG. This is way better than running into U2 and Muse at my hotel! Or catching The National two weeks later in another city after they cancelled on Singapore. The pianist I saw, is Armando Blumetti. OMG. Armando Blumetti! The maestro is 85 years old. He's one of the most talented tango/jazz/bigband pianists in all of Argentina. I had the fortune to hear him play for two hours in an intimate setting, and tragically, didn't recognize him till NOW! See what happens when ignorance takes over. ARRRRRRRGH.

3 comments:

sinlady said...

aarrgghhh...that would have been like watching the flamenco maestro antonio vargas at a la pena and didn't realize it till after!!

tuti said...

wow.
and wow again.
*plonks flat with you*

imp said...

sinlady: tell me about it.

tuti: indeed.