Monday, July 18, 2011

Stories Nearer Home


I probably read more foreign writers than Singaporeans, probably because of the nature of the latter's material. I can identify with some, I disagree with the others, and often, I don't want to be reminded of themes and topics that I rail against as a teenager, and as an adult. Still, I pick up many titles by Singapore writers because, they are good. Prose, poetry and drama form my favorites.

Reading plays requires a greater concentration than usual. Reading a volume of plays results in separating them into 2 sittings simply because I need the breadth of imagination to flesh out those words into a virtual play. 'In the Company of Heroes' is Verena Tay's second volume of plays featuring 3 main plays of The Car, The Lunar Interviews and Bumiputra Cina. Then there're 4 more others in the volume, Right and Left, One More Chance, Queen Sophia and That Dog Buster and Imperfect Family Recipes. Verena's writing style has evolved since her first volume of plays titled "In The Company of Women". In this second volume, the writer tries to brings out the multiple everyday heroes in the characters that most of us would be able to identify with.

I didn't read Verena's semi-autobiographical The Car then, but watched it a couple of years back when it was brought to life on stage, directed by Samantha Scott-Blackhall. Today, skipping through the pages, I'm reminded of the emotions it could still stir as we recall incidents when we were young and pushed boundaries and tested our parents' limits. Did I regret some of those actions? Naaah. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

I had (and still have) a very warped idea of Chinese mythology. The mythical figures are confusing and come in various configurations bent to suit the requirements of each scriptwriter, actor, etc. While I've a pretty clear picture of historical origins, the evolution floors me. The Lunar Interviews were utterly confusing. I confess I didn't like it very much. Till today, I can't seem to get beyond the surface storytelling to look at the themes. An excerpt,

"Urrrggghhh! What did I do to deserve such a fate? It was all The Pig's fault! Me grow old and ugly in this backwater, surrounded by idiots? No way! Not if I could help it."

Imperfect Family Recipes is just depressing. I work with old folks and sometimes, their families. I can compartmentalize the related emotions quite well. But I prefer not to be immersed in it all week. So even reading a short play about it made the thought of "I don't need to see this" zoom across the mind's eye. Before the page is turned, I could already predict the next few lines. Ah well.

I really enjoyed Right and Left. It's hilarious. The play comprises of the conversation between the right foot and the left foot. Set in a gym and present time, Verena stated that the plot was "inspired by [my] her efforts to get fit and lose weight." The interpretation of the play is entirely up to the reader. You could take it any way you prefer. Rather lighthearted, no matter how.

2 comments:

notabilia said...

I'm bookmarking this post. Thanks for the suggestions.

imp said...

notabilia: :)