Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Happy 46th, Singapore


I love you mainly because you are so full of pungent beautiful food flavors from Asia. You're such a fabulous melting pot. You gave me the chance to fall in love with other cuisines outside of my race and culture. You've taught me passion, dislikes, tolerance and choices.

You've provided me friends from other cultures. I've 2 best friends from childhood- the Chinese BFF and the Indian BFF, both of whom ironically don't reside on your grounds. The man too, has 5 best friends whom we see regularly- a Malay (Arab actually), a Chinese, an Indian, an Eurasian and a Caucasian. Growing up, and now, we're blessed to be surrounded by friends from different races. From their mothers' kitchens, I've come to understand diversity, individuality, colors and harmony.

We're torn about how we feel towards you, Singapore. While we're not in love with you, we love you still. We're proud to be Singaporean. Most of the time. So, here's to many more peaceful and stable years in your economically strong embrace. May you mature elegantly and show strength and grace in believing in your people.

7 comments:

bookjunkie said...

Loved this post, as I hear the planes roaring past overheaed. You truly captured what it means to be Singaporean and a bit of how we all feel :)

M. said...

I always knew you have a soft spot for this country :) Thanks for sharing your inner thoughts. I love Singapore!

imp said...

bookjunkie: a little i hope. a facet of how most of us feel.

M: ahhh..i guess i do. else i wouldn't have lasted that long in the previous job. :) or perhaps it's a matter of, 'you can laugh at anything, but not our food, race or religion'! we take our food with GREAT seriousness. heh.

Lady J said...

Your post kinda echoes a little on how I feel to be Singaporean. In fact, it inspired my latest post. Hehe

imp said...

ladyJ: hopping over to read yours now!

jooo said...

This post encapsulates how we all feel as S'poreans and it made me smile.. :) Eat as much curry and cook as much curry as you fancy! Hehe.

imp said...

jooo: you too. eat well and with no MSG.