Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fish Eyes At Tatsuya


Hopped into Tatsuya for a dependable lunch of chirashi (with its tiny cute ikan bilis mixed into the rice!), soups and a fish head. Mmmm. The sushi counter was full, as always. But the restaurant took care to seat me in my favorite corner. Very nice.

The girl's leaving town for a bit and is a mission to track down all her favorite local foods to fit them into her tummy. She's slowly but surely checking off the to-eat list. This restaurant is one of them. I wasn't going to suggest any Chinese food for us. Her mom cooks much better versions. One evening, she sent me a photo of her mom's bubbling pot of 'lo kai yik' with plenty of mushrooms and vegetables. Looked absolutely delicious! I almost wanted to hurry over to crash her mom's dining table. :P

This girl ah, didn't say earlier that she doesn't exactly eat fishhead. We should have ordered the full body of fish which wouldn't be too big! Then she would have gotten more chunks to nibble on. But luckily the aradaki (sea bream) head that arrived was meaty. So found plenty of flesh for her. Accompanied by soft daikon, the fishhead was, as usual, simmered to perfection in thick sweet soy. The woman doesn't eat eyes, so I lucked out, didn't have to share, and got to eat the yummiest sticky portions of both eyes. Nom nom nom.

I'm not exactly a 'high-tea' person, mainly because there're very few items I want to eat at the respective spreads. Especially not all those sweets. An easy afternoon coffee or tea works for me. Had a bunch of paperwork to sort out for the old folks. Was halfway through them, and didn't feel like ploughing through the other half today. On a whim, we went down to Raffles Place for coffee at Dimbulah, and cajoled another out of her office to come meet us for a chat. Hehhh.

2 comments:

lilsnooze said...

I am not going to eat chirashi anywhere else..;)

imp said...

lilsnooze: WIEEEEEEEEE.