Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Fish

I've been eating lots of fish. Scallops too. Being friendly to lobsters, and avoiding prawns, crabs, clams, mussels and the sorts. Don't want allergies to flare up and morph into something uncontrollable in winter. Too bad I'm not headed to Dorset. Otherwise it'd be quite a fantastic seaside town/seafood experience. Heh. But in the city, I've got Chamberlain's, J Sheekey and Bentley's. These restaurants aren't just about the food. I always put them down on the list for meals in order to look at their interiors again and again. They're housed in gorgeous art decor buildings and an olden market hall. Ambience, check.

The great thing about the restaurants, there are always great seafood options, and decent to good vegetarian options, even at the burger joints. Always plenty of options for the different food preferences at the table. Love poring over the menus to look at their offerings from the sea, and asking the servers for the 'catch of the day'. Naturally, I always order species that restaurants at home rarely serve, or never have them this fresh. Even simple but well done haddock or snapper pies are the yummiest things in the world. Many pieces of sole have gone into my tummy. For example, this lunch comprised of a gorgeous plaice on the bone.


Plaice, not a shabby European cousin of the Dover sole. Love it fried in beer batter, or grilled as a whole or oven-baked; not in a pie though. They come in gigantic bigger than hand-size (I've fairly big hands) portions. Best. No carbs needed. Great for sharing too, if the table wants to explore more of a restaurant's menu.

See that huge dollop of herb butter on the top of the plaice? It was dutifully lifted and brushed to the side plate before it could melt. Thought I could just flick a little on the bread. What did I know? I finished all of it. Totally unnecessary. Bread and butter. Dangerous combination for me. The bread's always an excuse for me to slurp all that gooey butter goodness. Lightly grilled, the plaice was delicious. I was patient enough to pick all the flesh from the bone with a fork and knife, leaving a rather impressive skeleton by the time the dining companions were done with dessert.

No comments: