Sunday, April 06, 2014

《天冷就回来》


Written by Hong Kong playwright Raymond To (杜国威), directed by Kuo Jian Hong (郭践红), and held songs by Singapore songwriter Liang Wern Fook (梁文福),《天冷就回来》'If There're Seasons' is The Theatre Practice's third staging of the apparently popular Chinese musical since it was first shown in 2007.

Didn't even know that this is the third time the show's come round! It's so not my kind of genre of storyline or music. It's a three-hour musical lor. I really cannot stand musicals. All that singing. It's grating. Since the girlfriend wanted to watch, I went with her and resisted making all snarky remarks. Spent a good half of the show curled into the seat, covering my face with the cardigan to stifle laughter and convulsing violently with mirth. There're English surtitles. I had one thought- the writer's interpretation of the Singapore Chinese diaspora in New York is most curious. Granted, this is set in the age of flip phones, it's most interesting to see another view of the lives and thoughts of the Singapore Chinese diaspora. It's definitely not a view I'm familiar with.

After the show, the girlfriend went straight out to buy a cd. She didn't bother to get it autographed though. Hahaha. I don't get xinyao (新谣) and I never will. To me, these songs don't evoke nostalgia or sound ermm nice or whatever. It's like putting Celine Dion or Disney songs on repeat. #KillMeNow Never even heard of many songs even though the girlfriend insisted that these belonged to our secondary school days. Zoomed out for a stiff drink immediately after. Let's just say that while I was sufficiently traumatized, I also felt pride in watching a Singapore production that's quite decent.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved it! When I watched the first run. :))

Anonymous said...

You're so kind to tag along. See it as supporting local bah. haha.

imp said...

L: It runs till end of the month, so see if you want to check it out a third time? The cast and stylistic direction should be quite different I suppose.

fern: I spent 10 painful years in a Chinese school where I never felt more out of place. So I can definitely sit through 3 hours of this. To think A comes from an 'English' school. Hahaha.

Unknown said...

Nah, as with books and movies, I usually only watch stuff once. :)