Monday, May 26, 2014

Forming A Coalition


Met the friends' children on this trip too, and decided they didn't need more toys. I'm boring 'Aunty Imp' and the children I meet get books, crayons or puzzles. Went to Barnes and Noble a few times to grab what-I-hoped-were-okay gifts.

Before I buy books for children, I flip through them for a thorough read, just to ensure that the contents are innocent enough, or aligned to the intended recipients' parents' values or general opinions.

While browsing for gifts, I spotted 'Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type' written by Doreen Cronin in 2001, illustrated by Betsy Lewin. Cutest pictures. Flipped through it and LOL. I fail to see how this title belong to the children's section. I'd be hard pressed to explain to a child all that's happening between Farmer Brown, the cows and the hens, and finally, the ducks. It'd be even harder to advise a child that this would be rather unacceptable behavior to most parents whilst growing up.

I certainly wouldn't want the friends to come after me for seeding naughty ideas in their minds! Then it'd be murky to explain further to the children that in a democratic society, adults occasionally engage in strikes, negotiation and outwitting each other in all manner at all platforms from playgrounds to student council bodies, parliament and well, unions of any industry. Depending on which side of the globe you're at, you might also have to introduce (earlier than desired) the concept of snap elections, martial law and military coup should polite negotiations or protests fail.

Too funny. I bought the book for myself. Hurhurhur.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually have this book! I got it through a school book list and the kids really loved it! They think it is funny as hell!

imp said...

It's hilarious! i hope your kids don't try the negotiations on you. Kekeke.

Delphine said...

I recently bought the book for Blip and while he doesn't like it (yet! - he much prefers Klassen's Where is my hat), I'm enjoying it tremendously. Best of the series IMO. :)

imp said...

D: i love 'i want my hat back'. Heh, he's going to identify some of those tussles on the farm soon?