Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Wandering Goose


Popped into The Wandering Goose for its 'Fried Chicken Friday'. Southern food. The only reason I did it because I found its name cute, and the man really likes biscuits and good fried chicken. I have no love for either food.

We got the standard US$25 plate of three pieces of buttermilk fried chicken with a choice of three sides served with house hot sauces and a biscuit. I'm no fan of chicken. Literally nibbled on the strings of meat to taste, munched a corner of crispy skin and I was done. The huge piece of biscuit, served with thick jam and a slab of butter was great, but I'm always weirded out by it. It's like a scone, except crunchier. The man ate it all up. He loved it. He said they do buttermilk chicken and biscuits for breakfast in the south. I was like...WHUT. I dunno if it's so. I think he's bluffing.

Said plate of buttermilk fried chicken.
What does an imp eat at the restaurant that offers mainly chicken? The sides! The portions weren't huge, but they were good for two and they were filling! We had sides of collard greens, Sea Island peas, mashed potatoes and pan gravy, and coleslaw. They were pretty good and I had two servings of coleslaw.

Owner and chef Heather Earnhardt also writes children's books; her cookbook is coming out later in the year. The Wandering Goose opens for lunch and offers brunch too. I spied veggie hash and granola that sound okay. Everything else is too heavy. Oily lah. Loved the freshly squeezed juices and smoothies that were available even at dinner. Ingesting sugar in those ways? Absolutely.

No comments: