Saturday, August 19, 2017

Cigarettes After Sex


Since the friends raved and raved about Cigarettes After Sex, I bought tickets to see their show. Shoegaze, dream pop, ambient. Okay lah. Fairly mellow and happy. Luckily it was a free-standing gig, or I'd have fallen asleep in my seat. Thankfully the band sounded pleasant enough live. However, they were really boring. The video projections on the screen moved more than they did.

The venue still hasn't sorted out its ventilation issues. At maximum capacity in this sold-out show at Capitol Theatre, it was stuffy, and the air-conditioning was as weak as it had been since the opening. This is a placid crowd, given the genre of the show. Imagine if people bounced a little more, the collective body heat would have been unbearable.

Mainly led by singer-songwriter Greg Gonzalez, the band released singles and an EP. They only just released their first eponymous album 'Cigarettes After Sex' two months ago. I didn't exactly do my homework, so I didn't know all their songs. Although there were five songs I wanted to hear. However, a fair portion of the show was spent gazing at my shoes. Hehehe. As expected, the gig was over in about an hour and ten minutes. They didn't have that many songs lah. The night ended with an encore of two songs I'm not familiar with- 'Please Don't Cry' and 'John Wayne'.

No comments: