Tuesday, August 15, 2017

CURATE at RWS for $100Gourmet

The man has cleverly scored a number of meals via the Citibank credit card where we dine at a restaurant with a fixed four to six-course menu at S$100++ for two persons. These $100Gourmet dinners are usually set at S$100 per person. The only drawback, we have to pay upfront, so that's dicey. We'd just have to assume we could make it, and try to block out the date in our calendars.

It's a creative way to get me out to restaurants that I would otherwise not bother with. Whenever the term 'Michelin stars' is mentioned, I'm completely unenthusiastic. I think it's a dumb system. Anyway, at this price point, it's also a great way to shut me up rather promptly about the food because so far, while the service and logistics at the various restaurants are pretty decent, and its food interesting, they don't all appeal to my tastebuds.

We recently went for a four-course lunch at CURATE at Resorts World Sentosa. (It's located next to Candylicious, opposite Din Tai Fung, at the Forum somewhere around the Universal Studios ball and very weird Lake of Dreams.) For this menu, Elizabeth Allen of Shibui (Kaizen House) in London partnered CURATE's Chef de Cuisine, Benjamin HalatCURATE also hosts an 'Art at CURATE' series of partnerships with Michelin-starred chefs.


The amuse bouche was fun! I loved the bread and butter. Those were superbly satisfying. The glass of champagne was a nice touch. The first course of buttermilk chicken with tare sauce and spinach was hilarious. Very edible, but seriously salty. The man loved it. I didn't mind the salt punch, but yeah, it's just fried chicken, and I don't care about fried chicken or chicken. I didn't enjoy the soufflated farm egg as much as I thought I would. It was topped with spinach and truffle caviar that was so overpowering that it just didn't seem to go with the bouncy egg white. The egg white whipped into soufflé did nothing for me. After I ate the cheerful runny yolk, I was done with the dish.

I didn't request for a separate main, so today's main was beef. Although I saw other tables with scallops. The little piece of Black Angus sirloin had been apparently aged in kombu. It came with horseradish that looked like marshmallow. I quite liked the horseradish here, but it wasn't mash, so there was no way to finish it. It's just like a dip, and when I'm not a fan of wasabi or mustard, I took only a teeny bit of that. Dessert came as a surprisingly delicious coconut espuma with calamansi and rambutan honey. The flavors went well together. But because it's an espuma, and I really don't like foam-anything, so I left it alone after three small mouthfuls.

No comments: