Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Tendon Stretch on the Chair


The pilates manuals call this the 'tendon stretch'. Doing the tendon stretch on the Reformer is super effective. You could really feel those hamstrings go when you swing up and down. Add a tricep dip to push the arms a little more and exert deeper control. It's also a preparatory exercise to something I used to do in gymnastics but it's doubtful that I can do it well now. Hurhurhur. It's the L-Press (and to handstand).

One could do this exercise on the Chair. Took me a few classes to get the full uhh-swing of it. The feel is soooo different. On the Chair, this feels less like a tendon stretch than a work on the abs. The legs are certainly being stretched, but my efforts are concentrated on the abs to lift, hold, scoop and round my tight mid-back. By now, I've become extremely aware of making the scapular muscles work, protracting those shoulders to protect my triceps and arms.

To me, it feels more satisfying doing it on the Chair. The abs and shoulders work harder. Or rather, the abs. You really gotta suck it all in and lift. There should be no strain at all in any body part. Make upper and lower abs work together with your exhale breath to rock your butt up, up and up. It's pretty fun!

No comments: