Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Deanston X PIM PAM


Went for a Deanston whisky tasting + dinner hosted by PIM PAM by FOC and Quaich Bar. They had invited (Deanston Distillery is owned by Distell Group Limited, who also owns Bunnahabhain and Tobermory.) The bar launched its specially bottled Deanston 14 y.o in Spanish oak cask, and I was curious about it. I can be rather fixed in my whisky preferences, so tastings done this way are a great opportunity for the tastebuds to try new flavors. Tonight, the Deanston Virgin Oak, and the 18y.o spoke to me.

Blinked at the dinner menu. That was a loong list of food! The selected tapas served weren't decent. But I couldn't stomach that much food and had the friends take my portions. The Spanish anchovies were wonderfully salty, delicious and full of umami. Dessert was churros with chocolate sauce that everyone loved; as usual I gave away mine. Haha. I was really only waiting for the squid ink paella with prawns. Hurhurhur. In fact, I could have had two servings of that and skipped all the previous fun tapas selections. FOC’s paella never disappoints at any of its three locations.

The wonderful thing about this dinner- it was more casual instead of the usual fine dining style adopted for food and whisky pairings. The friends and I weren’t placed at the communal table! Yayyyy! Didn’t need to schmooze or show fake interest in people (who could be nice, but nobody really needs a bump up in the number of facebook friends)! Got a table to ourselves and managed to have more meaningful chats since the surroundings weren't that noisy.

No comments: