Friday, October 20, 2017

Happy Diwali 2017!

I was a little confused about all the lovely invitations to Diwali meals on the Singapore public holiday of 18th October. It's a five-day festival, except the frantic urban pace necessitates adapting the mode and pacing of the celebrations. There was even a work lunch thingy. I was kinda expecting to do all these over the weekend or early next week. 😄

Then I realized that Diwali this year for the friends was actually celebrated on the day after, on the 19th. So the work associates and friends made use of the opportunity to host gatherings a day earlier on a public holiday where many people could attend. It was fun! Food was delicious, of course. Homecooked awesome-ness. Loved those. To love and light.

What I was intrigued by, were the desserts and sweets the hosts chose. This year, many sugared items adopted a contemporary take, especially for the mithai (sweets). I like the burfi (or 'barfi'). It went low on sugar, rosewater, nutmeg and cardamon (not my favorite combination of spices). It went higher on the volume of dark chocolate and nuts, instead of sticking to traditional single nut choices in plain peanut, almond cashew or pistachio. I have no idea what the hosts did to balance out the condensed milk or what would be a decent substitute, but it worked! The squares of burfi were good.

No comments: