Tuesday, January 16, 2018

K's Burgers


You know how much I dread a meal combination of burgers, pizza and fries. Regardless of how wonderful they might be, I can't get over the feeling that it's a sad meal. 🍔🍕🍟 Try eating that as a poor young student and having to freeze leftovers to eat for weeks, you'll totally feel me. I don’t want to relive those memories and tastes. Then again, what do I know? I'll choose cup noodles over the healthier (more balanced) option of pizza any day. Hahahaha.

I'm slightly more open to pizza now, although I prefer them vegetarian or vegan, and hopefully if they aren't just a Margherita. I never could do fries without chilli sauce. It's terrible. Ketchup doesn't cut it. Once in a while, burgers are okay. I still default to them as a convenient option on rare occasions. Burgers done well with grilled buns are much appreciated. I do like beef. Patties are not difficult to do well at home. It's about the grilling, and getting decent buns.

We went over to K and Y's for dinner. K makes fantastic burgers. It has been a looong while since he has done so. He was still recovering from the crazy hours and demands of running a small burger joint, and didn’t feel like making patties again so soon after he closed it. (Remember Meat Packing District in 2013/2014 in CBD canteen, then at a coffeeshop at Waterloo Street?)

A burger. That was the main menu item. It’s not difficult to grill burgers at home, but it’s not easy to churn out a good one. K really did a great one for dinner. With melted gouda and strips of bacon, of course. He was not pleased with having to use Swissbake's hamburger buns, but it would have to do when he couldn't get those ideal brioche buns in such small quantity at short notice.

These patties are delicious, and are done at home, with non-professional-kitchen equipment. It isn’t done in a kettle or smoker grill either. Each patty holds 120 grams of prime chuck beef. Dunno what went into the seasoning for his patties. K is bloody pedantic about churning them out perfect. Don't ask me about the percentage of fat or whatever in the patty. I don't care to know because I won't be able to replicate it. Eating it and deciding what type of patty I like, without going into the specifics, is my preferred degree of acquaintance with burgers. Heh. We all know someone who can do good burgers, right?

The hosts also did drumlets and fries in the air-fryer. We contributed linguine aglio e olio, and jalapeño. Cooked up a pan of tomato relish, filled up a jar and brought it over to go with the burgers. That tomato relish was quite complementary indeed! It was a lovely night with whisky and lots of great music on the vinyls.

No comments: