Thursday, March 01, 2018

One Last Lo-Hei For The Season


Headed out to Jiang-Nan Chun with the man and his parents for dinner. I like this restaurant very much because it has been pretty consistent through the years, and kept its soothing ambience. That night, it was crowded but to my great relief, it was somehow tolerable because the all diners were so considerate in keeping the conversation level low. No crazy shouting or loud voices broke the peace. Bliss.

Food was just fine. No complaints. Shared a bowl of steamed white rice with the man. The gravy in the dishes were lovely, and I couldn't resist scooping up the carbs along with it. Too bad the a la carte menu during this season was limited—they had one sad choice of fish, cod fish fillets. The table wasn't interested in it. The other fish was sea perch, but the only option offered was to have it braised, and in claypot with tofu. Naaaah. Skipped fish. The restaurant's soups are always fabulous, done just the way I love.

Lo-hei was done with smoked salmon and abalone. No ikan parang here. I think with all the scaremongering and stories of giant tapeworms and whatnot, most restaurants laid off the 'sashimi' for lo-hei, and instead seared or cook the slices of fish thoroughly. Which is good. If a kitchen or its processes isn't equipped to deal with slicing sashimi and keeping it free of contamination, then don't do it. This is probably my last lo-hei of the season. Not that I'm counting. But I don't usually do more than three a season. This year I’ve done five.

No comments: