Thursday, March 29, 2018

The 2018 Menu At Wild Rocket


[This restaurant has closed in November 2018.]

As a little prelude to the man’s birthday, I took him to Wild Rocket for dinner. The new dishes on the menu have been floating around for a few months, so they should have been nicely tweaked by now. The man enjoys flavors, layers and textures, and is fond of Chef Willin Low’s mod-Sin creations. We opted for the nine-course menu- two appetizers, two soups, three mains and two desserts.

We started with negitoro on a crisp prata curry base, and a deconstructed gado-gado with spiced peanut ice-cream, both of which were a promising start to the meal. Then there was poached Japanese oyster in tom kha gai, and a superb rendition of mushroom ravioli in shiitake consommé. This dish is fully vegetarian, and hence the mushroom 'dashi'. The shiitake consommé was absolutely amazing. I was in love with this.

Loved the buah keluak and minced beef ravioli in spring onion and ginger sauce. It was even mildly tinged with sambal. Inspired by vinegared pork trotters (I hate that dish), the Iberico jowl braised in dark soy and vinegar was paired with French chestnut puree and Chinese pickled cabbage. This version was thankfully way less pungent than what it’s inspired by; I liked it.

Unfortunately, the one dish I didn’t like at all was the poached red snapper in sayur lodeh gravy and coconut mousse. The combination didn’t do anything for me. I’m not big on coconut in my food. Likewise, I’m not a fan of the kitchen’s laksa-based items. I really dislike laksa leaves and any combination of laksa-pesto. My tastebuds like them separate.

Said dessert items.

The omakase menu is pretty much the nine-course menu. Except that once the three mains were served and emptied into our stomachs, we were offered the choice of two more mains in the form of beef or prawn pasta. I was greedy. I didn’t care about the beef; it was the pasta that got my attention. Had to have that. No regrets! It came as spaghettini in seafood crustacean oil topped with a tiger prawn. The spaghettini could have been more al dente, but the combination of flavors in that rich crustacean oil was fabulous.

I didn’t even mind eating the two desserts that came in the form of a lychee sorbet with lychee martini gummy, and a deconstructed chendol. The man was very pleased with the dessert items. He loves his food, and the thought and science behind it, be it a bowl of soup or a simple relish. He’s been super busy at work in a new role and hasn’t had much time to linger over meals. He definitely enjoyed the dinner experience tonight.

No comments: