Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Getting Our MOVES In


So our gym came up with a month-long challenge not just to get us on the app (which is still buggy), but also to spur on members to sign in for its fairly fun classes to MOVE. At the end of each class, the instructors hand out this little card with a QR code to us to scan and log in MOVES to get a score and siddle into the rankings.

We were given the impression that cardio classes accorded the highest MOVES. But after a while, we realized that the highest MOVES (1500) were given to Reformer Athletic classes, and 1167 to Reformer Flex, 1333 to Reformer Classical. My darling GRIT Strength only registered 1000 MOVES (BootyBarre's 1000 too), Body Pump 1069 MOVES, Impact 1250. Not that I know anything about sports science and movement... But simple Math versus calorie burn would render the MOVES given out a little...incoherent. If I do three Reformer classes a day, and friend E does the equal number of cardio classes a day, she'll still have to do two extra classes to catch up with my MOVES. That's sorta strange, because the current structure of the classes don't actually burn as much calories on the Reformer as a cardio class... Oh well, whatever. 


I had to catch up like mad because I was away in Tokyo. The friends and I long figured out that the top ranked 40 people were doing four to five classes a day. Okaaaaay, I'm not going to bother doing that. That's borderline insane. My body maxes out at two classes a day. Three if it's just Reformer classes. :P Erm, no matter how competitive we get, we know what our bodies can take. We aren't starting out in these classes brand new. Most of us (people I know at the gym) are already pretty fit and doing about two classes a day already, with one to two rest days in a week. At least for many of us, we aren't over-doing it. Nobody wants to get rhabdo or tear ligaments and tendons.

We wouldn't win lah, or be even among the top 10. There's this magic number of hitting 41230 MOVES to score a consolation prize of sorts. We started cackling. We would be so lucky if that means a free smoothie. I highly doubt it. HAHAHAHA. G said he won one of those weekly consolation prizes which gave him a voucher to subsidize the purchase of a FitBit. Anyway, this bunch of us aren't thinking of winning a prize. Many of us (friends) would hit it; it's just that we're competitive by nature, and it's fun climbing up the rankings and sliding back. 😂

I ended at Number 49, out of 4883 participants. But we'll have to assume that 60% of them aren't active. Hurhurhur. Loads of people are traveling at any given week. Dunno if I even get vouchers. Hahaha. Maybe the Top 10 did. Not bothered to ask; I'm just leaving it as it is. It was randomly sort of fun.

No comments: