Friday, June 22, 2018

Cast Iron Cookware


By now, the man and I know what pots and pans we use often, and those we can do without. Re-assessing our cook-ware means throwing out (up cycling, rather, and passing on to the friends or the recycle table at our estate) stuff and replacing items. Besides the usual pasta and stock pots, we also needed two cast iron pots and a new grill pan. For dunno-what reason, the man took a great interest in Le Creuset pots. 😒

I heartily dislike the colors of Le Cresuset. While I'm less resistant to its range of grays, white and black, I'm not interested in its combination of porcelain or enamel. I'm not fond of colors in the kitchen. I'm a black and steel girl. We went to the mall to check out the discounts at its kitchen section. I had this 😑 face when the man was looking through options at Le Creuset. I had earlier told him that I wouldn't use anything from Le Creuset and hence I wouldn't wash it either. Some pots shouldn't be cleaned in the dishwasher. He's welcome to sort it out all by himself. He wisely wondered if there were other options of cast iron pots.

I gently pointed him in the direction of Staub. While the brand is similar to Le Creuset, providing choices of ceramic in its cookware and serveware, it offers a full cast iron option. In black, of course. That is what I want. I’ve always fancied items from Staub except that I haven't bought any because of earlier space constraints and I didn’t want to let on that I occasionally cook. When it's really your MIL's kitchen, trust me, you do not want to use it. Now that our own kitchen is being renovated, we could streamline everything, and I would cook something for myself (since what I cook don't always fit general tastebuds), I could justify the purchases of Staub cast iron cook-ware. The man had forgotten that Staub existed. He was quite excited about it. He went to and fro the two brands' display shelves at the mall, mulling over options. I was relieved that he preferred how the Staub cocotte felt in his hands compared to the Le Creuset French oven. In the end, we went home with a number of gorgeous Staub pots and pans. ✌🏻

4 comments:

wl said...

yesssss, good choice ! ;)

imp said...

A happier brand for meeee! Heh.

Cavalock said...

have you heard of this?

http://www.vermicular.com

http://jpninfo.com/42461

imp said...

@Cavalock: I know it! I’m super intrigued by its ‘air-tight’ lid. But Vermicular doesn’t offer full cast-iron options, it comes with enamel which i don’t want.....