Saturday, June 30, 2018

Fish Biryani Craving Sorted


Somebody mentioned that they had catered (more like do a to-go, self-collection arrangement) from Spice Junction for a party (that I didn't attend because I had more pressing matters to attend to, like go to WORK), and it was ridiculous how small the portions of biryani and curries were.

Or rather, some people at the party were taken aback by how the restaurant had cut up the fish and chicken in the biryani into tiny little pieces, and did the same for the curries ordered. There're only two reasons why it would be cut up so small. And it also depends on how you define 'ridiculously small'. I'm not going to put those reasons out here; it's easy to figure out why. I had no idea what they were talking about, and I told them so, and abruptly exited the conversation. 😛 I didn't doubt their experience, but since it was a conversation that I didn't want to be drawn into, it was really none of my business, and importantly I wasn’t present at said party, so why comment. I can do it here on the blog though.

As much as I'm fond of Spice Junction, I won't and needn't defend or pan it. There's no obligation to do so. Dining experiences are always subjective. My experiences (recent and ongoing) have been thankfully positive, and I can only speak for myself. I've never had tiny pieces of fish in my biryani all these years of patronizing the restaurant. The ikan tenggiri in the fish biryani comes in two big fillets when dining in, and whenever I do to-go portions, even for an order of 50 boxes of fish biryani (for many occasions), they turn out fine too.

ANYWAY. I suddenly had a craving for fish biryani after being denied of it a few times because the usual stalls at the food centers and coffeeshops ran out of it, leaving only the popular but sad-for-me choice of chicken. 😂 When the craving for fish biryani hits, I still zoom out to Spice Junction for a fix. It's hard to find another kitchen that does it in this way that I really love. Went out to lunch at the restaurant and ordered said fish biryani. There, craving satisfied in its pukka-style Malabar fish biryani using ikan tenggiri. Yummy.

A full portion of fish biryani last week.
I wouldn't term this piece of ikan tenggiri as 'ridiculously small'.

No comments: