Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Rolling It Out On The MOTR


After a particularly grueling week both at work and signing up for crazy weights and cardio at the gym, and having missed all scheduled Reformer classes, the body was aching like crazy. Took a break from gym classes, and I'm glad to have private sessions at the pilates studio to fall back on.

Early on a Monday morning, the pilates instructor set me on the MOTR (Movement on the Roller) to isolate and stretch out those tiny muscles. But first, she insisted on some cardio. With feet in its resistance straps and the MOTR upright, I had to run for three minutes like that. Yucks. That's always one way of getting the heart rate up a little bit before doing balance and core work.

The MOTR is quite a nifty inexpensive equipment that doesn't take up much storage space. I'm considering of buying it for home use. While it doesn't actually substitute for a Reformer, many similar movements can be modified to be done on the MOTR as well. I don't bother with buying any weights for home use. My body weight will suffice, along with TRX straps and a pull-up bar. Everything else is done at the gym. But if I'm thinking of being less reliant on the gym or giving up that membership altogether, then adding a MOTR to the home exercise regime would totally be the answer. Functional training + strength and core. ✅

Unsurprisingly, I've never thought about stopping pilates sessions at a dedicated studio. I love those! Sure, I can totally practice mat pilates on my own, but without equipment, it isn't as fun. With the gym providing decent Reformer sessions, I veer away from it at proper pilates sessions, and focus on the Cadillac, Chair and the Ladder Barrel. It helps to have the instructor spot any mistakes in form and pacing. With a good instructor, these pilates sessions meet a different set of needs and they're able to condition those muscles deeper and better.

2 comments:

nua-ster said...

looks interesting!!

imp said...

Quite fun!