Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Lechón at Don Lechon

These crazy people wanted to eat lechón at Don Lechon. I was like, WHUT. It's got ZERO nutritional value again, and for once, I cannot get behind this method of cooking pig. I'm not into fats or crackling skin. #SorryNotSorry The table isn't unfamiliar with Filipino food. When we go diving often enough in Filipino islands for two weeks at a go, we tend to exhaust dining options in the remote villages, and are fairly familiar with mainstream Filipino dishes.

Usually for these types of dinners, I'm there for the company. I'll either eat something beforehand, or eat something else after so that I don't starve. So I still went along for fun, and booked a table for all of us. Don Lechon does answer queries via WhatsApp and only takes reservations for large groups. I was completely tickled that they replied me with sentences half in Tagalog. Had to ask help with translation!

You really need to like roasted suckling pig to eat at Don Lechon. And welcome fats, oil and salt. There isn't any other food offered on the menu. Steamed white rice is served with the meats, but the broken grains are kinda clumpy. The eatery is super casual. Outdoor seating only. Lechón is usually roasted and ready to be served by 6pm. So go early if you can. It's sited on the external shop unit of Grandlink Square, facing the tiny strip of Geylang River. Tonight, we ordered the standard lechon sisig and chopped lechon. Nobody ordered bopis leh. Chehhh. I was a wee bit curious about innards, and wouldn't mind stealing two bites from someone's plate. Hurhurhur. Also had two pots of sinigang na lechon to share. Washed down by cans of coconut water on ice.

No comments: