Saturday, September 22, 2018

Meat Bun Steamer

I'm still quite skeptical of all those very cheap plastic items that all claim to be 'microwave-safe'. Yes yes, science, I know it, but the heat is rather intense, and I wonder what these items' shelf life is. I don't really want to see them melt before deciding to replace them with new ones.

I got a microwave-safe cover to use when heating up food. It will save me a lot of angst cleaning splatter in the microwave oven. A friend just posted a photo of his exploded curry puff in his microwave oven; I was horrified by the amount of uhhh curry puff debris stuck to every corner of the appliance. Ugh. It'll be hell cleaning it out, especially the roof.

Couldn't stop laughing when I came across this 'meat bun steamer' for the microwave at Daiso. It's cute and very clever. It has a base to hold a tiny volume of water to create steam/moisture to keep the bun soft. They really think of all sorts of randomly useful cooking items. Well, the man is a big fan of Chinese style chicken buns (bao), and he'll pack a few of them from Tiong Bahru Pau or Teck Kee Tanglin Pau every other week and leave them in the fridge. The cold buns will be good for about three days. I'm certainly not going to get out the steamer just to heat up ONE BAO. So this little microwave-safe bun steamer will come in handy whenever the man wants a quick snack.

4 comments:

nua-ster said...

hee.. my ex-colleague taught me a hack which is to drape a piece of wet/damp paper towel over the bao to get the steaming effect.

imp said...

That would work too!

Liverella said...

I’m a terrible sucker for Daiso gadgets... never seem to be able to resist their nonsense, the Japanese are always so ingenious in creating convenience ;)

imp said...

Some are so brilliant that I ever thought I need them till I spy them in the shop. Heh.