Tuesday, October 23, 2018

結婚記念日の夕食 :: 割烹 旬水


We went to Kappo Shunsui (割烹 旬水) for dinner. It's the space with the metal door next to casual Izakaya Shun (居酒屋 旬). I prefer to ring the bell, and am not inclined to input my fingerprints into its door lock. Zzzzzz. The intimacy of the 19-seater restaurant (11 at the counter and 8 across 2 tables) almost transported me to Japan.

Chef Nishi Nobuhiro recently took helm of the restaurant and he was so attentive to our sake requests and the food served. Their plating and presentation were so on point. Their sashimi isn't the best, but they've got very good snappers. I never cared about tuna anyway. In fact I'd skip the sashimi! This isn't a restaurant for sashimi; it offers kappo style dishes lah.

I loved the delicious little pieces of grilled saba that came with matsutake and a little bit of glutinous rice. That's like my all-time favorite combination for a meal. The salt was super delicious. Hahah. The pieces of white pomfret were fried in the lightest of batter. Paired with gingko nuts, they were delightful. I loved it.

I often skip the beef too- I can't appreciate wagyu at all, and they serve A4 Kagoshima beef which has extensive marbling. The beef sat on a bed of mushrooms, and I enjoyed those more than the meat. I do like their uni- you can't go wrong with in season Murasaki uni. There was ikura-don to finish the meal, we opted to add on uni to it. I thought it was really good. That rice was lovely. Flavors were kept light to bring out the full brine of the ikura and uni!

2 comments:

jo said...

Uni ikura don *salivates*

imp said...

slurrrrrrrrp. it's a giant pot though.