Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Morsels〜で千葉の味

Aged kinmedai | pickled noge nori, mee sua, Yamasa usukichi vinaigrette.

Went to Morsels for its sake-pairing dinner menu themed 'The Taste of Chiba'. Chef Petrina went to Chiba and brought back good stuff and ideas for a meal. The seven-course menu utilizes the current season's ingredients from across Chiba and the dishes are paired with a range of Tokun Shunzo sake from Sawara.

Totally enjoyed the kinmedai. The flesh was aged and served with mee sua, Yamasa usukichi vinaigrette and pickled noge nori. Then its skin was served in a yuba wrap with persimmon sambal on kinmedai sauce. Both courses were delicious!

The rest of the food was good too. However, I should have requested to swop out the main of Jack's Creek wagyu beef brisket to a fish. Forgot to ask about it when I booked our seats. I really dislike wagyu and with the demi-glace, it was indeed way too rich and sweet for my liking. Left the whole chunk on the plate.

Loved the jackfruit banana cake. It's quite hard to go wrong with this combination unless you over-do the sugar. Tonight's cake was still too sweet for me, but I suppose it's okay for most diners. The final candy for the evening was a strange persimmon pate de fruit. My tastebuds couldn't get used to it. The pink peppercorn! Had to discreetly spit it out.


I skipped the last sake of the evening. It was Tokun's karakuchi honjozo (辛口本釀造) served WARM. I took a sip and stopped there. While I can't always differentiate a honjozo (本釀造, 30% of the rice has been polished away with an added a small percentage of distilled alcohol) from a junmai (純米酒, pure rice wine with no addition of distilled alcohol), I'm not fond of karakuchi honjozo as a combination. Honjozo is usually recommended for warm sake. I hate warm sake almost on the same level as warm water. UGH.

I loved the first three sake of the night. I was quite taken by Tokun's ginjo (吟酿酒, with 40% rice polished away). It was named futari shizuka (吟醸 二人静). Teeeheheheh. There wasn't any explanation about the types of sake during the dinner lah. They just poured it out for us, and we referred back to the menu for the respective sake's tasting notes. It's only because I know my sake stuff, so when the man asked, I explained it to him. It was an enjoyable evening.

No comments: