Tuesday, February 19, 2019

元宵節 :: 狗守太平歲、豬牽富裕年


The man kept monopolizing the kitchen to cook on the weekends. Obviously his foods lean towards meats, pasta and Indian, which can be heavy. And I really wanted to do a Japanese-Chinese fusion meal for J and L. Finally found a chance to do so one weekend for the dearest friends.

Since it was still the first fifteen days of the lunar new year, I went for broke and made Chinese dumplings- 白菜碎肉餃子. These aren't supposed to be gyoza or shumai, so I made them round and fat. The BFF demanded her portion. She said she could eat 40 at one sitting. Well, my small kitchen set-up and limited patience meant that I could only make about 50 at a go. And these weren't for her! Kekekekeke. She showed me a photo of the dumplings she BOUGHT. Wah, do jiaozi have this standard shape? They look like mine! Hurhurhur.

This is a test batch. It's the first time I made jiaozi. I can do gyoza and shumai, so I suppose jiaozi aren't very different.The sheer volume meant that I wasn't going to pound anything. Took out the micro food processor to mince up the filling. Goodness. It was soooo messy! Luckily I was clever and made the 49 dumplings on a day when the part-time helper was due. Hurhurhur. She blinked at the giant mess I made, tsk-ed at me and cleaned it up. #ImpieCooks2019

The jiaozi went into the freezer to await the final test- our tastebuds. The friends came over for dinner. The jiaozi went into a light soup topped with ebi and bok choi. Fried up tofu and vegetables, seared two small fillets of grouper, and uhh added my easy strange non-crispy sweet and sour pork. I hoped the friends were okay with the simple dinner! They brought wine, ever-generous in sharing their stash. Excellent choices of red as usual.

春節過年包餃子吃餃子,不全是‘招財進寶’的意義。我親手揉麵粉弄餡料包餃子,都是希望大家在新的農曆年裡事業順利、生活過得充實美滿健康。

📷: L.

No comments: