Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Tin Plates & Tiffin Carriers

I was quite touched when L sent me a thank-you gift via a fast courier into the country. L had her family help her buy them from the corner store outside her home and mailed out to me. The postage cost more than the contents! Tin plates and tiffin carriers. They're quite fun gifts. I really appreciate the thought behind the gifts.

I just didn't quite know what to do with them. How do I use the tiffin carriers to pack food from the stalls? (I use those standard spill-proof glass boxes.) If it's peak lunch or dinner hour, I might just get scolded by the stallholders for wasting their time packing food into the tier. The tiffin carriers wouldn't be able to actually hold food without spilling their contents. I would have to pack food without gravy, and keep the carrier upright. The separate containers aren't spill-proof when put together in a tier. I'm not too inclined to use them as serving plates. The tiffin carriers went into storage. Currently, the tiffin carriers have gone out on as display pieces in a few events and settings that require casual cookware.

The plates are more practical for me. They're light and stack neatly on the shelf. It's a decent size to contain food when I cook easy meals for one. It isn't too difficult to get the grease off of them after a meal. They can go into the dishwasher, but I'll have to remember that they can't go into the microwave oven. The only thing- these tin plates and tiffin carriers do rust, and they seem to rust quite fast, unless they're used often. I'll try to do so then. They're super old-school and kinda cute.

No comments: