Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Local Anesthetic Works So Well


I banned the man from spending the day with me. What for? The waiting would be ridiculous. It was only a core needle breast biopsy; I would have 90% strength and the full use of my limbs. Not a big deal. Except I've never been hospitalized, or been poked by such a big needle. I was understandably nervous, and I needed to be alone. (The man came to pick me up much later and carried my bag. That was very useful.) 

I refused to sit on the hospital bed or lie in it while waiting to be wheeled into the operating theatre. I sat on that hard plastic chair to read. It was not comfortable, but it was much more pleasant than the bed. I could lie in that bed when I really needed to. Not today.

I opted for the core needle biopsy to be done under local anesthesia (LA) and not sedation. I most certainly wanted all my faculties intact, and I didn't want an extra needle poked into me for the sedative to be administered. Although being under LA meant totally feeling rather naked and cold. I was shivering quite a bit and had to utilize all Pilates breathing to keep the pulse in check, keep very still and have the muscles as relaxed as possible. Oh I definitely felt like a piece of raw meat being poked and prodded. Thankfully the nurses and operating team were warm and reassuring.

In the operating theatre, I was going to turn my head the other way and close my eyes. As frightened as I am of needles, I was like, "Wait a minute. I'm paying S$3000 for this! I'M GOING TO WATCH BLOOD FLOW." So I did. Hurrah for local anesthesia. I grimly watched the needle go in and out to take six tissue samples, and each time it popped loudly like a toy gun.

That 12cm (length) biopsy needle with a diameter of 5mm made a small entry wound, but a deep puncture. Acccck. I don't think I'll be this thrilled when it comes to surgery/lumpectomy. Anyway, general anesthetics will knock me out and after regaining consciousness, the first thing I will feel is PAIN. Ugh.

The egg sandwiches for the after-procedure snack held surprisingly generous layers of egg within the bread. I totally approved of them removing the crusts. I wasn't in very much pain. I was wide awake, and very hungry. That big hot cup of Milo was delicious. There's something about Milo at the hospitals and blood banks. Ahhh, it was thick, and not that sweet. I asked for a second cup. Oof! Two cups of Milo almost made it worth the hospital bill.

THIS, is everything.