Wednesday, October 23, 2019

It Never Gets Easier; You Only Get Fitter


Finally bought a new pair of training shoes after two years of sweating it out at the gym. Of all the shoes tried, Reeboks work best for me at cardio and weights classes. Another pair of Reeboks it is now. (I run in Vibram FiveFingers.) Retired the old pair from gym use and re-purposed it for 'dog-walking'. Hahaha.

For a few weeks now, I’ve been doing the latest release for LES MILLS GRIT™Strength. Friends who did the release first were stunned, and advised me to lower the weight for my first taste of it. I wisely listened to their advice. I dropped weights for the first time. I was gobsmacked by the many reps in GRIT™Strength 30. Towards the end, there was one segment which called for [25reps X 4 sets] X 4 rounds. WHAT THE. That be 400 jumps and lifts. It wasn't even the whole workout. OMG. Had to ease out the sore muscles at gyrotonic class for the next two days.

Once the mind and body grasped how much energy is needed for this release in a 30-minute class, it didn't feel so exhausting. This week, I've plonked back my usual 7.5kg-a-side. Sure, instead of 18 reps row+clean+press with the bar, I could only do 10 reps. That is okay. I keep the form and I don't over-strain any joints or tendons.

It has been two years since I first stepped into a LES MILLS GRIT™Strength class. No regrets. For someone who isn't into traditional weights training, kettlebells or powerlifting, this exercise program that has combined both weights and cardio works very well for me. I could choose to pile on the weights or scale them back depending on how I feel each week. However, I still reiterate, the goal is to gain strength and muscles while remaining injury-free. That credit, completely goes to gyrotonic and pilates. Without those movements to strengthen the core and ease tight joints, I wouldn't be able to remain relatively limber at standard strength-training and cardio classes at the gym.

No comments: